More mass customization at MIT! Amy Goggins from the MIT Enterprise Forum of Cambridge has put together a great MIT networking event on Feb 16, evening !
(NEW DATE DUE TO SNOW STROM! Event has been shifted to the 16th of Feb.)
On Feb 16, the MIT Enterprise Forum of Cambridge will present "Mass Customization: Massachusetts' Hidden Tech Cluster," which will feature a panel and demonstrations by local companies Artaic, Blank Label, Custom Made, FashionPlaytes and Gemvara.
Mass customization combines individual consumer desires with mass production pricing. The internet and automated manufacturing systems are fueling the growth of these businesses in order to enable consumers to customize everything from jewelry and clothing to books. The trend is also fueling the growth of businesses that identify individual consumer needs not previously met and create products to meet those requirements.
Panel Moderator: Katie Rae is the founder of Project11, a firm that invests in and assists early-stage startups, and the director ofTechStars Boston
- Ted Acworth is the CEO and founder of Artaic, a site that allow customers to design their own mosaics
- Sharon Kan is a co-founder of Tikatok, a site that provides consumers with the ability to author and publish children's books
- Matt Lauzon is the founder and president of Gemvara, a site that enables consumers to design their own jewelry
- Sarah McIlroy is the CEO and founder of FashionPlaytes, an online clothing design studio for girls ages 5-12
- Sung Park is the president and founder of Umagination Labs, a partnership that identifies and develops new products for consumers
- Artaic custom mosaic design and fabrication
- Blank Label allows consumers to co-create their own dress shirt
- Custom Made connects expert artisans with discerning customers who work with a maker to design a project crafted individually for them
- FashionPlaytes an online clothing design studio for girls ages 5-12
- Gemvara enables consumers to design their own jewelry
Program: February 16, 2011
5:30pm: Networking mixer & appetizers
6:15-8:00pm: Talks and demos
8:00-9:00pm: Networking reception
Where: MIT Stata Center (Building 32), Kirsch Auditorium, 32 Vassar St., Cambridge, MA
Pricing: Forum members: $25, Non-members: $45. Students from all universities are free with college ID. Pre-registration is encouraged!!